Saturday, August 22, 2009

The First Day We Knew About You


Saturday, August 22, 2009. 6:00 am:
Since we began trying for a baby 11 months ago, I'd been charting my cycles religiously. Every morning at 6am I took my temperature and recorded it on my chart. I was now two days late.

At 6am I took my temperature, afraid it would take a nose dive which would mean I was about to get my period. It was still high, so I went to the bathroom to pee. I was so nervous! I ripped open the pregnancy test and followed the directions, laid the test on the bathroom floor and waited... At first there was only a horizontal blue line, which meant negative...but 3 seconds later a blue vertical line appeared and made a cross! I stared at it for a second, afraid that I was seeing the wrong thing, maybe the instructions were wrong. Time stood still while I realized that I was pregnant. There I was, on my hands and knees on the bathroom floor at 6am and my life changed forever. I was so afraid to believe it but I knew it was true and my hands began to shake. A couple of tears later, I composed myself and walked back to bed with the test. I crawled in bed and Josh stirred a little bit. I turned on the light on my nightstand, turned to him and held the pregnancy test in front of him.
He stared at it for a few seconds and said "What?!"
"I'm pregnant!"
"Huh uh!"
"Yeah! Its a cross if you're pregnant! Look!"

A huge grin came across his face and we smiled at each other. I put the test on my nightstand and we snuggled for a few minutes.

"Are you happy?" I asked.
"Yeah" he said, through a big smile.
"Me too."

I turned off the light and we snuggled a few more minutes, with big goofy grins on our faces. Our minds were racing, and I was still shaking and laughing. Josh laughed at me for shaking so much. I turned the light back on and took a blurry picture of the test with my phone, set it as my phone's background and turned the light back off.

"We're gonna have to have a talk when we get up" I told him.
"Yep."

A few more minutes went by and I realized there was no way I'd be going back to sleep. I got out of bed, grabbed the test and my phone and went to the living room, giving Josh some time to himself or to fall back asleep. It was pregnancy test picture time with the Nikon! A few minutes later I received a text message from Josh saying "Will you make some coffee? I guess I'm up for the day!" He couldn't sleep either.


6:20 am:
After Josh had gotten his cup of coffee we sat down and discussed how we would handle the pregnancy and what it would mean for our future. I wasn't sure how we would juggle my pregnancy, moving to OK, me working full-time, Josh going to school full-time and possibly working part-time, and then a baby, but somehow we could manage... Josh didn't think so. We threw some ideas around and I told him not to make a decision right then, but to think about it for a little while; either way we'd make it work.

We then got on the computer, looked at my chart and started counting up how far along I was. From my calculations, my due date was May 1, 2010 (we'd find out later it was April 30). Baby was 2 weeks and one day old and yet I was one month and one day into my pregnancy. It took me a few days to understand the difference. I remembered seeing an article on the size of your baby with each week and I finally found it. At 4 weeks Baby was the size of a poppyseed, and Baby's nickname stuck.

After an hour or two I made scrambled eggs, bacon and oatmeal for Josh's breakfast. I wasn't very hungry so I poured a bowl of shredded wheat which made me slightly gaggy again so I ended up not eating it. I then remembered last night's chicken fiasco and realized my sense of smell must be heightened. I gave Josh a hard time for not smelling the chicken for me, I hadn't been crazy, just pregnant!
"I can't believe you wouldn't smell the chicken for your pregnant wife!" I teased him.

A little while later Josh was playing a game on the Xbox and I was still on the computer looking things up. Can I still do my exercise routine? What shouldn't I eat? I don't remember what I saw, maybe it was a description of all the organs and things that would be developing in our Poppyseed in the next week, but tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't believe I was pregnant! It seemed like we'd waited for so long and finally, here it is! There are no words to describe the happiness and joy I felt. This was the most amazing feeling! A few minutes later Josh must have heard me sniffling and he turned around to look at me. He smiled at me and I told him I was having a moment.

Ultimately, Josh decided he would reenlist and once we are settled into our new home after our upcoming move, he'll begin online classes and get his degree that way. We're comfortable and happy with the decision and feel that it's the right thing to do. Josh said that Poppyseed is just God's way of telling us to stay in. It's nice to know we've made the right decision. I'm so glad I married Josh. Even though things at work can get rough for him, he only wants the very best for our expanding family. He is such an amazing man and I couldn't have found a better man to marry.


1 comment:

  1. Karale, this post brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you both and I get goosebumps in anticipation of how exciting it will be for us when we find out we're expecting. Wishing you a very happy and healthy 9 months! I have just become your newest blog checker! :)

    ReplyDelete